Sunday, June 8, 2014

For Sure, the Better Way!

I could be suffering near-terminal boredom on Highway 401 right now.  Instead, I'm relaxing in a comfy armchair and zipping eastward at a sizzling speed well beyond anything I would dare to do in a car!  I've been wined and dined, and have some lovely classical tunes on my MP3 player, I'm writing a blog post -- and I'm somewhere between Belleville and Kingston, heading rapidly towards Montreal.  Train travel really is terrific!


This being Sunday, the noon train ex Toronto is especially filled.  But that's okay.  Everything has been going smoothly, the service in business class has been first rate.  I probably shouldn't say this, but I'll risk jinxing myself:  my special diabetic meal, as always, was ready and waiting for me.  And I got lucky, having the two-seat section to myself means I can spread out a bit.  The perks of business class travel. 


Actually, for a trip this length, the cost of business class isn't really any different from going by car, when you factor in the lunch I would certainly have to buy myself on the way.  As for the time: this is one of the slower trains of the day, taking 5 hours and 20 minutes for the trip with 8 enroute stops.  I'd have to have a clear road and no stops to do Toronto to Montreal, downtown to downtown, in that length of time!  But of course, I would also have to stop -- to eat, to refuel the car, to answer the call (and I don't mean the call to the church ministry!).  Overall, I'd need more like 7 hours to make the trip, and I'd be a lot more tired at the other end -- and achy!


For those not familiar, the business class service on VIA Rail begins with a round of drinks and a salty snack.  Then lunch is served, with a small appetizer, a choice of 3 entrees, warm bread rolls, dessert, wine, and coffee or tea.  Chocolates are handed around afterwards.  All of that is included.  No beverage and food sales, as on the airlines.  The only trick is that I have to book or order 60 hours in advance to get that special diabetic meal loaded. 


And then there`s the scenery.  Nothing thunderingly dramatic along this route, but plenty of lovely lush greenery now that summer is (almost) here.  There are occasional views of Lake Ontario.  The line crosses some rivers from time to time, and runs through some towns and cities.  From time to time the tracks run parallel to Highway 401, and we get to watch the train slowly overhaul the highway traffic.  I`m not sure, but I think the maximum speed for the train is somewhere around 130-140 kilometres per hour.


As far as I am concerned, this is the only way to travel over the medium distance!


I also use the train a lot between Woodstock and Toronto when I have to be in downtown Toronto, as I was for the last 2 days.  Why drive in, and then be faced with a $20, $30, or even $40 daily or nightly parking fee? 


As with many airlines and hotel chains nowadays, it's important (if planning a trip) to sign up on the various individual companies' websites for regular updates on sales and promotions.  News of these doesn't necessarily filter downstream through third-party websites such as Expedia or Travelocity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment