Monday, December 15, 2014

The Ideal Resort?

Ask 100 people for a description of their ideal resort getaway, and you'll probably get 101 answers!

But if the travel ads and brochures are anything to go by, there seem to be some common factors that govern a lot of people's thinking on the subject.

Seems like the ideal resort should be big, have multiple restaurants, shops, bars, a nightclub or two, a super-gigantic pool or three as well as the beach, lots of fancy-shmancy recreational facilities, and a general atmosphere of 24-hour hedonism cranked up to overdrive.

Sorry, but that's not for me.  I am glad to report that just over 10 years ago I discovered a resort getaway in Florida that is ideal for me and other people who feel the way I do -- quiet, laid-back, friendly, small, and generally low-pressure.  In all those respects, it's a perfect fit with the area in which it's located.

The place is North Redington Beach, Florida, about halfway between St. Petersburg Beach and Clearwater Beach.  The DoubleTree Resort by Hilton is set in the middle of a string of condo buildings, and fits in with them perfectly.  It's definitely not big, brassy, or flamboyant.

Like most of its neighbours, the hotel is 6 stories tall.  It has less than 150 rooms, but over half of those face the beach.  There's a pool and sundeck, a Tiki bar and patio, another patio adjoining the restaurant, a lounge bar, and a small gift shop.  All the essentials, in other words, but nothing wildly extravagant or glitzy or show-offy.  And it suits me to perfection.  And because it's so small, you never have to walk more than a minute in any direction to reach any part of the facility.

I've come here a dozen times in the space of as many years, and it always feels good to be back.  A large part of that is that the staff are so friendly and helpful, in every way.  Last time I checked in, I had trouble with my key cards,  The concierge came upstairs with me, personally, to make sure the new cards worked as they should.

Today, I arrived early and my room wasn't ready.  The desk clerk took down my phone number, while I went to relax with a drink at the Tiki bar, and in 45 minutes I got a cellphone call to inform me that my room was now ready.  Tonight, at dinner, I got a big warm welcome (and very good service) from Daniel, the server, who remembered me from my last visit almost a year ago.

One of the beauties of North Redington Beach is that the beach is a good size, but not too gigantic.  There are some resorts on the Gulf Coast where you practically need binoculars to see the ocean from your hotel room because the beaches are so wide.  Here, the ocean is close enough that the music of the surf can lull you to sleep even with your sliding glass balcony door closed.

Rooms are a good size, beds are very comfortable (like all Hilton and DoubleTree hotels), and if the décor is a little dated that's all to the good as far as I'm concerned.  Ultra-chic modern hotels where every piece of furniture is shaped like a cube are not comfortable for me at all.  To quote from Corey Ford in a magazine article I read when I was a young boy, "Form follows function, the edict states, but the function doesn't follow my form."

The location of this hotel may be quiet, but there are a dozen or more superb restaurants within easy driving distance up and down Gulf Boulevard.  Shopping is also readily accessible in a number of nearby locations.  The fishing village, boardwalk and shopping/restaurant complex at John's Pass is picturesque, fun to visit, and about a 5-minute drive away.

Other benefits: the sinfully good DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie which every guest gets at check-in (I have to pass, of course, being diabetic) and the two-deck free parking garage.  And then there's the price!  For tonight, rooms with Gulf view were available for $119/night, which is dirt-cheap compared to many of the better-known resorts on the Gulf coast.  No, it isn't always that low, but it's often well into the "affordable" range.  It's not hard to see why -- when you're staying in a lavish resort compound with every frill and luxury under the sun, well, somebody has to pay for all those frills and you're the one who's going to pay!

And what don't you get?  Many resorts now charge many extra dollars a day for internet, for parking, and for "resort fees" which never seem to cover much.  None of that in this hotel.  And if you are a Gold or higher member of Hilton Hhonors, you will get a free and very plentiful breakfast buffet every morning, including the chance to order eggs any way you want, omelettes, and fresh-to-order pancakes from the kitchen (normal rate $17 and change including tax).

I confess, I feel a little uneasy about revealing my great secret hideaway to the world, but I take comfort in the fact that the hotel won't be getting any bigger, and that my usual habit of booking months ahead of time will ensure that I can always get back in here to be spoiled rotten whenever I want to come.

So, here are a few pictures of my Florida paradise.

View of the pool, Tiki bar and beach from my balcony:


Flowering shrubs are still blooming by the terrace in December:


View of the pool and front of the hotel, early morning:


And the Gulf Coast sunset is always spectacular:



1 comment:

  1. Today, I'm sharing a description and a few photos of my favourite resort hotel on Florida's Gulf Coast.

    ReplyDelete