Saturday, January 24, 2015

Dinner in Paradise

I know I don't usually go nuts reviewing restaurants, but every once in a while you come across a restaurant which is much more than a meal -- it's an "occasion", a destination in its own right.  I first visited this one on my previous trip to Kauai in 1998, and returned tonight.  I just hope it isn't 17 more years before I get to eat here again.

From the outside, it doesn't look much -- just another anonymous modern building at one end of a shopping centre parking lot in the Poipu resort area.  But then you step inside.  Welcome to "Keoki's Paradise".

It's a very big restaurant, but there's no one spot where you can see it all.  Four or five seating areas and the bar are all open to the outside -- typical Hawaiian architecture.  But what's outside is a beautiful tropical garden with rock piles, palm trees, shrubs, flowers, tiki torches (after sunset), a pond, and waterfalls.  The sound of running water, ever constant yet ever changing, is the background along with gentle live music.  Incidentally, it most effectively drowns out the sound of traffic on the main Poipu Road -- which, believe it or not, is just a few feet behind those rocks and trees.  To all appearances, you could be in the middle of a tropical rain forest miles from the nearest major town.



(photos borrowed from the internet -- my camera's phone is a disaster area!)

The fresh fish here is always outstanding, with five varieties available tonight, all locally caught, and all available in any one of three unusual preparations.  There's also a Chef's Choice of two fish (about 3 ounces each), grilled and served with two different and unusual sauces, and that's what I chose.  One of the fish was a new one I had never tasted before called "monchong".  My server assured me that it has become popular just in the last few years, and indeed it was delicious.  The other was the ever-reliable mahimahi.  The quality and quantity were both impressive.  There's also a fine wine list.  Service throughout was thorough, friendly, attentive to detail, and unobtrusive.

Of course, what really makes the meal is that feeling of being seated in the midst of natural beauty, far from civilization.  For me, that's why Keoki's Paradise is an occasion, not just a meal.  And that's why I'm writing about it here, for the benefit of any readers who find themselves in Kauai some day.  Please note:  reservations are strongly recommended!

1 comment:

  1. Dinner tonight was in a restaurant in Kauai which is practically a destination in itself.

    ReplyDelete