Sunday, December 29, 2019

Seasons in the Sun # 6: My Princess Cruises Top Ten

This year's Caribbean cruise is now in the history books.  I'm staying on in Florida for another week, but I've already thoroughly covered the areas I'm visiting in previous trips, so I don't expect to be doing any more blog posts on this trip.

Instead, I decided to answer a question that several people have asked me in recent months:  why do you cruise only with Princess Cruises, and no other companies?

The simple answer to "why no other companies" is that Princess Cruises are such a perfect fit to my personal style and comfort zone that I see no real reason to try anyone else.

If you're planning on cruising, it's important to be aware that every major cruise line has its own distinctive style.  While there are some common aspects to all cruises, there are many more differences which become apparent as soon as you try them out.

If you're thinking of taking a first-time crack at cruising, I strongly recommend that you spend a lot of time on this website:

You can make much better decisions about the cruise you want after reading reviews by other travellers, and reading the detailed editorial descriptions posted by the Cruise Critic staff of the different cruise lines and their assorted vessels.

I'm not the person to give you that kind of detailed overview of the industry, since I have never cruised with any other ocean cruise line but Princess.

So, instead, I'm going to give you the top ten reasons why a Princess cruise is my favourite.

[10]  Stateroom Decor

Princess staterooms are almost always decorated in light earth tones.  This may not sound like a big deal, but earth tones always put me in a good mood and too much blue drags me down a bit.


[9]  Unique Itineraries

Princess has some pretty intriguing itineraries with some unusual ports.  I think in particular of a transatlantic cruise four years ago which sailed from Rome to Miami, stopping at Genoa (Italy), Nice and Sete (France), Barcelona (Spain), Gibraltar (U. K. Overseas Territory), Madeira (Portugal), Bermuda (U. K. Overseas Territory), and finally Miami.  And then there was my cruise up north to Spitsbergen, on the edge of the Arctic Ocean.  My friend Mark still hasn't forgiven me for getting there ahead of him!  This map shows all the places I've cruised with Princess -- so far.  Don't miss the little loop around Tahiti and French Polynesia, out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!


[8]  Fantastic Meals

Princess has great food.  Sometimes it's the little details that count.  The Princess breakfast buffet always has a number of foods that are special favourites of mine: smoked cheese, English bacon, half a dozen different kinds of bread rolls, and a great spread of smoked salmon with all the trimmings among the more conventional offerings.  In the evening, the main dining rooms have one unique dish created by celebrity chef Curtis Stone on every night's menu (along with a dozen other selections). Among the multiple dessert choices you'll find some incredible chocolate creations, courtesy of renowned patissier Norman Love, which are just to die for.  And the specialty Italian and steak house restaurants on Princess would give many land-based places a serious run for their money.  Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to eat a lot of that stuff (fats or sugars or both) but sometimes a man's just gotta do what a man's gotta do.

[7]  Top Quality Entertainers

Princess has great entertainers on board.  It's not just the production shows, which actually don't interest me that much.  It's the individual and duo acts, and Princess has a real knack for sniffing out classy and truly gifted musicians, and then getting them onto their ships.  It works for me, because I'd far rather sit with a drink listening to a top-notch vocalist or instrumentalist than watch a big, razzle-dazzle stage show.  To each their own.


One of my most unforgettable moments came when I booked an Alaskan cruise a couple of years back and then found out, less than a week later, that a former student from the school where I taught was going to be one of the onboard musicians!

It might surprise some of my close friends and family to know that my favourite performers aren't always the classical-music types either.  Some of the best shipboard artists I can recall have been duos with a keyboard or guitar player and a singer, or solo acts, in which the singer performs with such a uniquely personal style that she/he makes each song, even the covers, wholly their own.

[6]  That Italian Ambience

Princess has something of an Italian ambience.  Over the years, the ships' captains and chefs have often come from Italy.  But I'm referring here more to the design of the public spaces.  The main dining rooms of many of the ships have a distinct Italian feel to the space.  Even more this is true of the specialty Italian restaurant on most of the ships, Sabatini's.  At least one ship I sailed on had actual fountains outside the windows of Sabatini's, floodlit blue at night.  Most of all, it's about the Piazza, the elegant, multi-storey atrium amidships which tries -- and to a fair degree succeeds -- in evoking the atmosphere of Italy.  And what's not to like about Italy?


[5]  Cabin Size and Layout

Princess has good cabins.  I know, that's kind of subjective.  But a few years back, I was considering two other cruise lines as possibilities (the guilty parties shall remain nameless).  Their mini-suites or junior suites were smaller than the ordinary balcony cabins on Princess.  Nuff said.  By the way, I knew about the sizes because all those lines posted detailed cabin descriptions with square foot area of the cabins on their websites.  You can find out a lot about a cruise ship just by researching what the company has published about it.  A Princess cabin has well-planned space, with enough room to unpack all that you need. 

[4]  Shore Excursions

Princess has intriguing shore excursions.  I know, some experienced cruisers swear they would never take a cruise company excursion, but some of the Princess offerings just aren't out there on the open market.  That's particularly true of some of their more unusual tours and experiences that are co-branded with the Discovery Channel.  It's an aspect of the line that frequently wins awards.

[3]  The Princess Bed

This company has gone to great trouble, consulting extensively with expert sleep physiologists, and the result is an incredible bed which ranks as one of the two or three most comfortable beds I can ever recall sleeping in through my entire life.  And with all the travelling I've done, I've certainly hit far more than my fair share of different beds!

[2]  The Princess OCEAN Medallion

I still haven't given this thing a thorough test drive, but even the little I have done with it convinces me that this is the wave of the future (pardon the pun).


On this last cruise, my check-in and boarding after getting through security took all of 5 minutes with the Medallion and my room was ready for me just a few minutes after noon.  The best OCEAN Medallion trick is that the sensor by your cabin door detects the Medallion's approach and unlocks the door for you -- but only if the person approaching the door is the one whose photo is on file as being linked to that Medallion.  Thinking back on the days when I sometimes had to put stuff down and then swipe the damn key card three or four times to get the door to open, I think this is their greatest innovation.  It's also your payment device for all on-board purchases.  No more swiping cards and signing bar bills.  You just tap the Medallion on the point-of-sale terminal, and done.  And the seller sees your photo on the screen, so they can verify that it is actually you making the purchase.  The entire OCEAN Medallion system will be up and running on all Princess ships by the end of 2020.

And the big # 1 reason why I love Princess cruises so much is....  (drumroll, please)....

[1]  The Princess Vibe

How do I define that?  My feeling is that, even with scads of activities all around the ship, the essential character of Princess is that it's laid-back and relaxing.  The ships are well-provided with places suited to just sitting and letting the world go by, if that be your wish.  These range from quiet little bars to the library to the adults-only pool which doesn't offer music or shows to the ocean-liner-styled wooden deck chairs on the sheltered promenade deck or the big, comfy armchairs in the Piazza, and many more.  It's a nice blend of the "classic cruise" feeling with a more casual, modern atmosphere.  Other ships have more high-tech spectacle and hyperactivity, but Princess always has a selection of quiet little nooks for those times when I want to sit and watch, and think, or just tune out.

And I haven't even touched on the loyalty benefits available to multi-times repeat cruisers on this line.  Suffice it to say that, just as with the airlines and hotel chains, the loyal traveller gets enough perks to make it well worthwhile to keep coming back.  I figure the perks on this last 10-day cruise probably added up to $300 or more of freebies, and that's not even including the upsell bargain on my mini-suite cabin.



No comments:

Post a Comment